Ramsberg-past and present
Ramshyttan became Ramsberg in 1607. The name Ramshyttan can probably be derived from Ramen Lake, which today is called Vrethammars Lake, or possibly from "râmma", which was the substance that was painted onto the inside walls of the foundry stones to help them stand the heat.
In 1666 there were eleven foundries and fourteen forges within the parish. Free miners were the owners in the western part of the parish and the large iron producing companies were in the east. "In temperament the Swedishness of the people in Bergslagen goes hand in hand with the moodiness and stubbornness of the Finns, German handiness and the liveliness of the Valoons."
Harald Ericsson took over Ramsberg Iron Works in 1859 and managed the works until the foundry was laid down in 1889. Up until his death a few years later he contributed to the district by giving it a doctor, chemist and bank. He was elected to the first county council and became, like his father a member of parliament. As an honour for his contribution to the building of the railway between Frövi and Ludvika he had a locomotive named after him. The locomotive is preserved and can be seen at the Railway Museum in Gävle. Harald Eriksson Road passes by what is still called Ramshyttan School and the nursery school next to it.
The other large property in the village was Vrethammar's iron works, purchased by wholesaler H N Beskow in 1813. The iron works managed a forest, mining and had a saw mill and electricity works. The property was divided in 1923 when the Stuart family took over Vrethammar and the Beskow family took over the southern part and named it Björkvreten.
Sellén's Road, opposite the "new" cemetery was named after tailor Axel Sellén (1886-1973) whose mother-in-law had a cabin next to the road. Sellén himself lived just south of Kloten, in Kravsjötorp, and from there he managed an expansive tailoring business until the family moved to Baggbron.
Ramsberg municipality was taken up into Lindesberg municipality 1st January
1971. By then the post office and chemists had closed down and the medical
centre was closed soon after. Ramsberg Parish continues as before, but has
not had a resident vicar since a parish commonwealth was established with
Lindesberg Parish 1st January 2002. The concept of Lindes and Ramsberg Bergslag
(miners' society) has long gone to the grave, but the new parish organisation
chose just that name -Lindes and Ramsberg Parish Commonwealth.
The same year as the foundry was closed down a poor house was opened at Ramsberg - Ramsbergsgården. It was established through the initiative of the works manager of the works at Kloten, Voltrath Tham.
He suggested that Ramsberg parish should purchase a large forest area from the bankruptcy of works owner Berglund and on this land build a poor house. 18 men, 55 women and 61 children could be housed in the poor house. It was used at a later date for a pensioners' residence until Solkullen old age home was opened in 1966. Slightly more than thirty years later, in 1997 the pensioners were removed to Storå. Today Solkullen has been rebuilt to private residence, offices and hostel. The kitchens are used by a catering firm. The old poor house is still called Ramsbergsgården and has been rebuilt as a course and conference centre in private management.
In the village there is a country store, assembly rooms by the church and
in the former council building, which also house a library and a fire station.
At Ramsberg Elsa Beskow's Fairy children gather together with Lasse-Maja.